Crafting While Katy Sleeps: The Upcycled Tank Top

It’s been a while since I completed a sewing project, and lately I’ve been itching for something to make that I could finish in an evening.

Inspiration came to me – quite unexpectedly – when I was browing the Hanna Andersson online store for a baby gift.

Cute. But not quite USD33.60 worth of cute.

This dress struck me as very sweet. It also looked like something I could make out of less than $10 in materials.

The cost of materials then went down by more than 50% because I decided to use this very sweet tank top (in a very similar green, too) that Katy recently received as a hand-me-down. Thanks, Emma and Tricia!

A rotary cutter and mat make it so much easier to cut multiple layers of fabric. So glad I bought one.

A rotary cutter and mat make it so much easier to cut multiple layers of fabric. So glad I bought one.

I have a white-based pin dot fabric in my stash that I originally thought I’d use for the skirt, as it was very similar to the skirt on the original Hanna dress. But with that fabric rosette in the mix, there would’ve been too many different colours going on. So I chose a different piece of fabric for the skirt that helped to pull the whole look together.

I cut out and gathered the skirt following the instructions in this tutorial. (Ick, the colours look weird here. I blame the lighting in my living room.)

I then cut out and gathered the skirt following the instructions in this tutorial. (Ick, the colours look weird here. I blame the lighting in my living room.)

The measuring and cutting took less than five minutes, yay for my rotary cutter. Making the gathers for the skirt took quite a bit longer. I should really make it a point not to overthink my gathers too much; there’s some room for error at each step and it usually turns out alright in the end.

The tutorial I followed also recommended an elastic waist, but it was a tutorial for an adult-sized dress so I skipped that part. Toddlers don’t really have waists anyway.

image51

The finished dress. It’s a little big for Katy right now, so there are no modelling pics just yet. I’m quite pleased with how it turned out!

Share This Post

2 Comments

  1. Alli - May 3, 2015

    I LOVE this! Better than the original. Great fabric and the colors go so well. Well done.

    • Germaine - May 3, 2015

      Thank you! It was fun and easy, and I’m glad it turned out cute. When Katy outgrows it eventually I’ll reclaim the skirt fabric to do something else with.

Leave a Reply